Cantharis Vesicatoria (Canth)
Cantharis Vesicatoria, Meloe Vesicatorius (Canth) also known as Spanish Fly;
Side: Right, Rt. to Lt.;
Miasm: Psoric, Sycotic;
Thermal State : Chilly;
Thirst: Thirsty, Thirstless;
Appetite: Increased, Reduced;
Sensitivity: Low, High;
Moon Phases: First Quarter, Full Moon, Last Quarter, New Moon;
Time Phases: Morning, Afternoon, Forenoon, Evening, Night,
Cantharis Vesicatoria (Canth) is indicated for Violent and aggressive action on tissues, especially mucus membranes of the urinary tract. Rapid inflammation followed by severe, destructive pathology. Burning, biting pains, as if raw. Burning, scalding urine, with cutting, intolerable urging and fearful tenesmus or dribbling. Tenesmus of rectum and bladder.
This agent when applied to the skin produces a burning pain, hyperaemia, vesicles which tend to coalesce, and if the action is continued will terminate in sloughing an ulceration. When applied to the chest, the lungs beneath become pale and anaemic, while if it is long continued the pleura will show inflammatory changes. If it is applied to the abdomen for a prolonged period peritonitis will result. When taken internally it has power of causing irritation of the stomach, gastroenteritis, nausea, vomiting and purging.
It passes into the blood and is excreted by the kidneys, producing congestion of the kidneys and irritation of the bladder. The urine may be suppressed or voided frequently, when it is apt to contain albumen and at times blood. There is pain and aching in the renal region, in the bladder, urethra and glans penis with priapism. The autopsy in fatal cases shows inflammatory changes in the intestinal tract with hyperaemia of the kidneys and bladder.
When this remedy is indicated the ANIMAL PASSIONS are usually excited; there is a state of irritation in various tissues, pains that are sharp, burning, lancinating, are felt in various parts. The slightest touch aggravates the mental symptoms, the patient becomes angry, and this develops into a paroxysm of rage.
It should be remembered in ACUTE MANIA. When this is dependent upon an irritation of the genital organs, it is an amorous type of frenzy. There is an intense desire for sexual intercourse, and may be observed in either sex nymphomania or satyriasis. There may be nocturnal emissions.
It is useful in the DYSURIA of old men when there is weakness and paralysis of the sphincter of the bladder; with pain and frequent desire to pass the urine. At times there is intense burning, cutting, scalding sensation of the urethra. In aged women we have much the same group of symptoms with frequent desire to pass the urine and an inability to do so.
It is to be remembered in CYSTITIS and IRRITATION of the BLADDER when there is a constant desire to pass the urine, there is violent tenesmus and pain in the bladder, with cutting pains in the urethra and ineffectual efforts to urinate. It should also be remembered in acute cases that follow scarlatina. It is also of service in the uraemic condition when the patient is stuporous or delirious.
In the more chronic type it is of service, especially if there is HEMATURIA, or it is dependent upon an excess of alcohol. The urine s usually scanty, highly albuminous, urination is painful and difficult, there is dropsy, gastric irritability, delirium, coma, drawing, tearing pains and sensitiveness in the renal region with thirst. In these cases drop doses of the tincture or lower potency answer well.
It is to be thought of as a palliative in RENAL CALCULI when there is pain in the region of the kidneys, loin and abdomen, when the bladder symptoms of the remedy are present; also in the bladder symptoms of children and the boy finds relief from pulling the penis.
It is an important remedy in GONORRHEA when there is the most intense suffering, sexual excitement, and chordee, with the constant distress in the bladder and more or less blood in the discharge.
It is to be thought of in diseases of WOMEN WHEN MENSTRUATION IS EARLY, THE FLOW IS DARK, THE BREASTS AR SORE, THE OVARIES ARE INFLAMED AND EXTREMELY SENSITIVE TO TOUCH, THE PAIN IS DESCRIBED AS BURNING, ALL THE SYMPTOMS ARE WORSE DURING MENSTRUATION. IT MAY BE A PUERPERAL METRITIS WITH MANIA OR OF THE SEXUAL TYPE.
In PHARYNGITIS and DIPHTHERIA it is of service, when a sensation of burning is a prominent symptom, the throat feels as if on fire, the parts are hypersensitive and the food and drink are ejected when swallowing is attempted.
It has been employed in PLEURISY when there is a profuse serous exudate, with dyspnoea, cough, palpitation of the heart, a tendency to syncope and a sensation of extreme heat and burning in the chest. The perspiration is profuse and the urine is scanty.
It is indicated in ENTERITIS when the stools have the appearance of scrapings of the mucous membrane. The stool may contain much blood and its passage is attended with great tenesmus. The abdomen is distended, and is very sensitive to pressure. There is a sensation of burning referred to the rectum and abdominal cavity that appears to start posterior to the bladder. Much the same group of symptoms demand it in dysentery.
Remember it in VESICULAR ERYSIPELAS when there is redness, burning, biting heat, that is often associated with nephritis.
It has been employed in ECZEMA, ELEPHANTIASIS and PEMPHIGUS when the surface is sore and burning and there is vesication.
It is an important remedy in inflammation of the CELLULAR TISSUE when the parts are hard, painful and there is a sensation of burning; Apis, has stinging.
It has bee employed locally and internally in burns and inflammation of the eyes (locally one part to forty); also in burns in general.
MODALITIES of Cantharis Vesicatoria (Canth) :
[< – Aggravation]
< Urinating before, during and after
< Bright objects
< Sound of water
< Touch (especially larynx)
< Sight of water
> Lying quietly on the back
MIND of Cantharis Vesicatoria (Canth) :
-Irritation, disposition to fly into a rage. Fits of rage with crying, barking, striking, renewed by the sight of bright, dazzling objects and of water, and by touching the larynx.
-Acute mania, generally of a sexual type, amorous frenzy, fiery sexual desire. Sudden loss of consciousness with red face.
-Moaning and violent cries, interspersed with barking.
-Convulsion and howling like a dog, ending in a stupor.
-Constantly attempts to do something but accomplishes nothing.
GUIDING INDICATIONS of Cantharis Vesicatoria (Canth) :
– Burning in every part of the body both internal and external.
– Pains are cutting, smarting or burning, biting or as if raw, causing mental excitement.
– Inflammations are violently acute or rapidly destructive in the mucous and serous membranes.
– Oversensitiveness of all parts.
– Burning thirst but aversion to liquids.
– Painful urination as a concomitant in any diseased condition.
– Haemorrhages from nose, mouth, intestines, genitals and urinary organs.
– Discharges are bloody, acrid, watery, tenacious.
– Valuable remedy for burns and scalds.
– It is a right sided remedy.
– Urinary system-Acts chiefly on the urinary and sexual organs, perverting their function and setting in violent inflammation, causing frenzied delirium stimulating hydrophobic symptoms.
– Constant and intolerable urging to urinate before, during and after urination.
– Burning, scalding urine, with cutting, intolerable urging and fearful tenesmus or dribbling stranguary.
– Urine is passed drop by drop. Intolerable urging with tenesmus.
– Urine scalds the passage. Jelly like, shreddy urine.
– G.I.T.- Stool- Passage of white or pale red, mucus like scrapings from the intestines with streaks of blood. Shivering with burning. Bloody with burning and tenesmus and shuddering after stool.
– Dysentery with dysuria.
– Genitalia-Sexual desire increased in both sexes preventing sleep.
– Violent priapism in gonorrhoea with excessive pain. Not better by coitus.
– Cantharis expels moles, dead foetus, placenta and promotes fertility.
– Skin-Vesicular erysipelas.
– Vesicles over body which are sore and suppurating.
– Tetanic spasms compelling to bend forward or backward often < sight of water.
1. Burning in every part of body internally and externally.
2. Intolerable and constant urge to urinate before, during and after urination.
3. Dysentery with stools like scraping of intestines; white or pale, red, tough mucus.
NUCLEUS OF REMEDY
– For inflammations which are violently acute, rapidly progressing and intense.
– Burning in every part of the body.
– Intolerable and constant urge to urinate before, during and after urination.
– Pains are cutting, smarting, burning or biting or as if raw, causing mental excitement.
– Burning, scalding urine with cutting, intolerable urging and fearful tenesmus. Urine passes drop by drop. Increased sexual desire preventing sleep.
– Oversensitiveness of all parts.
CONFIRMATORY SYMPTOMS of Cantharis Vesicatoria (Canth) :
1. Burning pains.
2. Constant and intolerable urging to urinate before, during and after urination.
4. Painful urination as concomitant to all complaints.
5. Suppression and retention of urine.
CLINICAL of Cantharis Vesicatoria (Canth):
-Balanitis, Bronchitis, Burns, Colitis, Cystitis, Eczema, Meningitis, Nephritis, Pleurisy, Priapism, Pyelonephritis, Urethral strictures, Urethritis, Urinary tract infections.
One of the principal remedies in pleurisy after effusion has taken place- Dr. Joussept.
It Antidotes : Camph.
Preparations of Cantharis Vesicatoria (Canth): HOMEO., The mother tincture of the carefully selected insects, and dilutions from the tincture. U. S.P., Cantharis, Ceratum Cantharides, Collodium Cantharidatum, Tinctura Cantharides.
Duration Of Action : 30-40 Days.