Homeopathic Medicine Aconitum Napellus (Acon) :
This agent is an antipyretic, diaphoretic and diuretic. When applied locally it stimulates the ends of the sensory nerves, producing tingling. This is soon followed by depression and numbness and anaesthesia. When taken internally it produces tingling and numbness of the lips and mouth, and an increased secretion from the salivary glands. While from large doses there results a sense of constriction about the fauces, with pain in the epigastric region, nausea and vomiting.
The heart’s action is at first slowed, but later it becomes rapid and weak. The arterials are contracted. The respiratory centers are depressed under large doses, and as a result the respirations are slow and shallow. It produces an anxious expression of the countenance, while the skin is pallid, cold, and covered with perspiration.
This remedy is indicated during the early stages of acute SYNOCHIAL and RHEUMATIC FEVERS. Especially if these are dependent upon SUDDEN CHANGES of TEMPERATURE from warm to cold, or during windy weather. The congestion appears suddenly and is attended with a full bounding pulse, high temperature, anguish of mind and body that cannot be allayed, restlessness and nervous excitability. There is no definite localized inflammatory condition.
They FEAR that is present in these cases is quite characteristic. It precedes all the ailments. There is fear of death, predicts the day he is to die, fears to go out of doors, to cross the street. She fears during pregnancy that she may die, or that the child will be deformed.
It relieves vertigo when there is a sensation of swaying to and fro in the brain, which is made worse by stooping and motion in general. This is frequency attended by a HEADACHE, which is bursting in character, as if the brain were agitated and boiling, and as if it would protrude through the forehead. It frequently is the remedy when there is a congestive headache, which is worse during motion, and after sunstroke.
In the acute inflammatory diseases of the eye it is of service. The eye is extremely painful, is sensitive to light, and the eyeball feels too large. In catarrhal inflammations of the eye, before exudation has taken place, it is of service; the pain is excruciating and renders the patient extremely restless; he fears it will kill him.
It controls the inflammations that arise as the result of a foreign body in the EYE, and as the result of in growing eyelashes. In the acute attacks of granulated lids and pannus of the cornea, it is of assistance. There is heat and dryness of the parts with pronounced HYPERAEMIA,.
It acts here most favorably if the attack has been precipitated by OVER – HEATING, EXERTION, or EXPOSURE to DRY, COLD WIND. During the EARLIER STAGES of acute inflammations of the DEEPER STRUCTURES of the eve it is useful. The EYEBALL IS SENSITIVE to touch and very painful. The pains are of a STICKING CHARACTER. The pupils are contracted (sometimes dilated).
It is of service in earache when the meatus is red, narrow, and there are stinging pains in the ear.
In the early stages of CORYZA following sudden changes of the temperature it is indicated when there is fever, thirst and great restlessness. The patient cannot breathe through the nose and there is severe headache. The face presents an anxious, frightened expression.
It is fiery red, burning, and feels as if too large. Again, the face may be pale and there is an expression of anxiety and restlessness. There is neuralgia of the left side of the face, which causes great restlessness, anxiety, and rolling about and screaming.
In GLOSSITIS it is of service. The attack begins with a chill, and there is a burning and tingling sensation along the dorsum of the tongue, which is swollen, dry and rend. There is great thirst with sensation of dryness; everything tastes bitter, except water, or the mouth tastes foul, flat and nauseous.
It meets the early stages of the inflammatory conditions that involve the mucous membrane of the pharynx, fauces, oesophagus and tonsils; when the fever is high there is redness of the parts, a sensation as though the parts were rough and scraped; or burning and stinging are complained of.
The diseases of the STOMACH in which it is of service are usually reflex from other organs. It meets the acute congestions and inflammations of the liver, when there is oppressed breathing, with pressure and constriction in the liver, and sharp, burning pains that go from the liver to the stomach.
There may be a slight jaundice. It is also of service in the jaundice that complicates pregnancy; that from cold after fright, and that attending catarrh of the small intestines.
This INFLAMMATORY PROCESS may involve the PERITONITIS. The fever is high and there are sharp, cutting pains in the whole abdomen, which is distended and sensitive. And it may be attended with a colic which forces him to bend double and yet is not relieved in any position. It appears to involve the intestines and bladder and is attended with a constant desire to urinate.
In the first stages of acute bowel trouble it is frequently indicated. The stools are watery, slimy, or bloody in character. They are small and frequent, and are dependent upon cold. In the acute inflammation of the male sexual organs it is of great utility, especially in the first stage of gonorrhea and for acute orchitis when the fever is high.
In the female it is called for when there is MENSTRUAL SUPPRESSION from cold baths, wet feet, or fright; and for ovaritis or metritis when they are attended with high fever and restlessness. The external genitals may be inflamed, the vagina dry, hot and sensitive. In the amenorrhoea of plethoric women it will often restore the flow whatever the cause of the suppression.
During LABOR it is of service when there is great restlessness and fear of death. The patient is sure she will die. The labor is slow. The vagina is hot and dry, and the os uteri is tender and un dilatable.
Following CONFINEMENT it may be indicated for milk fever. The mammary glands are hot, hard and tense; the fever is high, and there is great anxiety. Or there may be a suppression of the lochia with high fever, hot, dry skin; hard, frequent pulse; when the abdomen is sensitive to the slightest touch and acute puerperal peritonitis is threatened.
It is indicated in cases of COUP that are caused by sudden changes from a warm to a cold temperature; the cough is loud, dry and hoarse, and is attended with loud breathing, every expiration ending with a hoarse barking cough. The child is often weakened during the first sleep following an exposure to a dry, cold wind.
INFLAMMATION of the LARYNX finds in this a remedy, when the parts are extremely sensitive to the cold air and the fevers and restlessness are both present.
It is indicated for the dry BRONCHIAL CATARRH and the attending cough which is worse at night; or the attack may return each night and morning. In the early stages of pneumonic fever is divides the honors with Veratrum viride. There is great heat, extreme thirst, a dry cough, with nervous excitability, quick, anxious, labored breathing with stitches through the chest and side, and indications that the pleura is also involved.
Active HYPERAEMIA of the lungs is controlled by it when there is a high fever and mental anguish. The chest is rigid and there is a sensation of a band about the chest.
It should be remembered in HEMOPTYSIS when the blood comes up with great ease. It is of a bright red color and is in large quantities. The hemoptysis is brought on by exercise, cold, dry wind and is attended with fear and mental anxiety.
It is useful in cases of APOPLEXY when the pulse is full and hard and the carotids beat violently. Also for cardiac derangements where there is a sensation of anxiety in the cardiac region, when the heart beats are quick, strong and powerful, or are quick, weak and small like a thread.
The type of FEVER that this remedy relieves is synochal in character. The pulse is full and bounding; there is great heat and restlessness, unquenchable thirst for large quantities of water, with extreme nervous excitability and tossing about in agony. At times there is a dry, burning heat, which is worse towards evening and after getting in bed.
Also inflammatory fevers with much heat; the skin may be dry and burning, or it may be covered with a profuse free sweat. The patient feels worse while sweating, but is relieved afterwards. In SCARLET FEVER while sweating, but is relieved afterwards. In SCARLET FEVER it should be remembered during the first stage, when the fever is high; there is great restlessness and anxiety, as the eruption, which is fine and red, appears.
It is indicated in MEASLES with a red, miliary eruption and a dry, barking cough. The eyes are red and the light is distressing; the tongue is red; the fever is very high and there is extreme restless and moaning.
In the early stages of RHEUMATIC ARTHRITIS it is useful when the part are swollen, bright red, shining, sensitive to touch, and the fever is high.
It relieves nervous derangements that are characterized by pricking of the skin, as if by needles, and all degrees of anaesthesia, numbness of the small of the back, which may extend to the lower extremities.
PHYSIOLOGICAL ACTION of Homeopathic Medicine Aconitum Napellus (Acon) :
Heart- Inhibitory paralysis, decreases B.P.
Circulation- Vasomotor paralysis
Temperature- Depressed with diaphoresis
Mucus membrane- Inflammation
Stomach- Emesis, congestion, neuralgia.
Lungs- Enteric vagi paralysis, congestion, inflammation
Tendons and fibrous tissue- Rheumatoid inflammation
Serous membrane- Plastic inflammation.
A/F: (Ailments From/Causation )
-Fear, fright, shock.
-Chill, dry cold weather
-Heat especially of sun
-Injury, surgical shock
-Draught of cold air
-Very hot weather (G.I.T.)
[< Aggravation ]
< Violent emotions [Fright, Shock, Vexation]
< Chilled by cold, dry winds while sweating
< Lying on the left side on back on affected side [Hep, Nux-m]
< After getting in bed
< Rising from bed
< In closed (warm room)
< Tobacco smoke
< Pressure, touch
< During menses
< Sleeping in the sun
> Warm sweat
> Sitting still (rheumatism)
> Open air [Alum, Mag-c, Puls]
– Great FEAR, anxiety, worry accompany every ailment however trivial.
– With fear; screams, moans, gnaws fists, bites nails, wants to die.
– Inconsolable anxiety, piteous wailing, vexation about trifles.
– Fears death, believes that he will soon die, predicts the day. Fear of death during pregnancy or labour, predicts time.
– Fear of future, of crowds, crossing the streets, of touching others passing by, of narrow places, of earthquakes [Morrison].
– Terror stricken.
– Great timidity especially after a fright, afraid in the dark, fear of ghosts, etc. Afraid to go out of the house.
– Restlessness; tossing about.
– Impatient; besides himself, frantic from intensity of pain.
– Pain insupportable, driving to despair.
– Undertakes many things, perseveres in nothing.
– Desires light, company.
– Music is unbearable, makes her sad [Ambr, Sabin] [During menses- Nat-c]
– Thinks his thoughts come from stomach, that parts of his body are abnormally thick.
– Delirium is characterized by unhappiness, worry, fear, raving, early unconsciousness.
– Physical and mental restlessness.
– Acute sudden violent invasion with fear.
-Symptoms- acute, violent, painful, appear suddenly, remain for a short while.
-Pains- sticking, tearing. Parts remain sore or numb after pains.
-Tingling coldness, numbness.
-Dryness, heat, especially of skin with unquenchable thirst for large quantity of cold water.
-Acute stage of inflammation; violent.
-Haemorrhages bright red [ Bell ].
-Special senses acute.
-Most symptoms disappear while sitting quietly, but at night in bed they are insupportable.
-Vertigo- < on rising [ Nux-v, Op ], shaking the head.
-Head- Fullness, heavy, pulsating, hot, bursting, burning.
-Eyes- Profuse watering of eyes after exposure to dry cold winds, reflection from snow, after extraction of cinders, or other foreign bodies.
-Nose- Pain at root of nose.
-Mucous membranes dry, nose stopped up, dry or with scanty watery coryza.
-Face- On rising, red face becomes deadly pale, or he becomes dizzy.
– Neuralgia especially of left side of face with restlessness, tingling numbness.
– Anxious look.
– One cheek red, other cheek pale [Cham, Cina, Ip].
– Sensation of face growing larger or swelling.
-Mouth- Tongue coated white [Ant-c], or thick yellow white, swollen, tip tingles.
– Bitter taste of everything except water.
-G.I.T.- Throat dry, red, constricted.
– Vomiting and fear, heat, profuse sweat, urination.
– Intense thirst < iced drinks.
– Craving- Beer, acids, bitter drinks, wine, brandy, cold drinks.
– Aversion- Tobacco, artichokes.
– Milk < Ices < Wine >
– Abdomen sensitive to touch.
– Meteorism, vomiting, inability to urinate.
– Burning, cutting in intestines < pressure or lying on right side.
– Stools of pure blood, slimy grass green, or like chopped herbs, or white < hot days cold nights [Dulc, Merc-c].
– Frequent stools, tenesmus, small broken, painful at last bloody or pure blood passes without faeces.
-Urinary system- Retention of urine after delivery in infant or mother.
– Micturition painful, difficult, drop by drop, urine fiery scalding hot, red or dark coloured.
-Female genitalia- Menses suppressed from fright, in cold plethoric subjects.
– Active uterine haemorrhage with much excitability, giddiness, cannot sit up, fear of death.
-Respiratory system- Croup awakening in first sleep, agony tossing about.
– Hoarse, dry, whoopy cough, short, hacking, on expiration grasps larynx < night, after midnight.
– Short, barking, ringing or whistling cough. < every inspiration, night, drinking >lying on back.
– Agony; sits up straight, can hardly breathe, pulse thread-like, vomiting, sweat with anxiety, swelling under short ribs after scarlet fever.
– Pneumonia, first stage in robust persons, chill of more or less severity, followed by intense fever, hot dry skin; laboured, incomplete respiration, dry hard cough.
-C.V.S.- Palpitation from anxiety, during fever, after fright, after motion, on waking.
– Pulse full, hard, tense, bounding, sometimes intermits.
– Uncomplicated cardiac disease, especially numbness of left arm, tingling in fingers, fainting.
– Myocardial infarction with pain in left shoulder < sitting erect.
-Extremities- Pain down left arm [Cact, Crot-h, Kalm, Tab].
– Hot hands, cold feet.
– Bright red hypothenar eminences of both hands.
-Fever- Cold waves pass through him during chill.
– Thirst, restlessness always present.
– High fever; dry burning heat, must uncover.
– Chilliness towards evening, hot head, face and cheeks red, headache pressing outwards.
– Sweat on uncovered, affected parts, on drinking, wants covers.
-Skin- Red, hot, swollen, dry, burning, shining.
1. Predicts the day he will die
2. One cheek red other pale.
3. Music is unbearable, makes her sad.
4. On rising from a recumbent position, the red face becomes deathly pale, he faints.
5. Amemorrhoea in plethoric girls, from fright.
1. Great fear of death.
2. Mental and physical restlessness.
3. Sudden violent onset.
4. Initial stage of inflammation before pus forms.
NUCLEUS OF REMEDY
– This drug is indicated in plethoric persons, in the first stage of inflammation before localisation and exudation has occurred, and is marked by redness, dryness, heat and severe pains.
– Complaints come suddenly with great anxiety, often with an overwhelming fear of death.
-Angina pectoris, Anxiety disorders, Bell’s palsy, Cerebral accidents, Colds, Conjunctivitis, Cystitis, Facial neuralgia, Gastritis, Influenza, Injury, Labour, Myocardial infarction, Orchitis, Otitis media, Panic disorders, Pneumonia, Shock, Tonsillitis, Toothache, Urinary retention or haemorrhage.
-Aconite is the acute of Sulphur – both precedes, follows it well in acute inflammatory conditions.
It Antidotes : Arn, Aspin, Astac, Bell, Bry, Cact, Canth, Cham, Chel, Cit-v, Coff, Croc, Dol, Glon, Graph, Kalm, Kreos, Lyc, Merc-p, Mez, Morph, Nux-v, Petr, Sep, Sol, Spong, Stry, Sulph, Ther, Verat, Vib-p.
Duration Of Action : 1 Hour To Several Weeks.
Most used potency: Aconitum Napellus (Acon) 6, 30, 200