Bryonia Alba (Bry)
Homeopathic Remedy Bryonia Alba (Bry)
[Materia Medica Keynotes Health benefits, uses, warnings, safety precaution, side effects, interaction, complementary and dosage]
Bryonia Alba (Bry) also known as White Bryony, Wild Hops; Kingdom: Plants;
Stage: Acute, Chronic;
Side: Right, U.Rt.Low Lt., Rt. to Lt.;
Miasm: Psoric, Sycotic;
Thermal State: Hot;
Thirst: Thirsty, Unquenchable, Thirstless, Large Quantity;
Appetite: Increased, Easy satiety, Reduced;
Sensitivity: Low, High;
Moon Phases: First Quarter, Full Moon, Last Quarter, New Moon;
Time Phases: Morning, Noon, Afternoon, Forenoon, Evening, Night;
Gender: Male, Female, Child;
Homeopathic Remedy Bryonia Alba (Bry) in indicated for Business oriented, fear of poverty. Irritability, wants to be left alone. Homesickness. Averse to be disturbed. Affects the serous and mucous membranes. Worse from slightest motion. Dryness. Extremely thirsty for large quantities of water, at infrequent intervals. Tongue coated white or yellowish-brown at centre. Injury, trauma, sprains, fractures.
This agent when applied to the skin for a time occasions blisters; when taken internally, in poisonous doses, it causes gastrointestinal inflammation, with profuse vomiting and an uncontrollable diarrhoea. The pupils are dilated, the temperature is reduced, there is colic, collapse and death. In some cases all the serous membranes are inflamed and covered with an exudate.
The lower portion of the lungs shows hepatization without bronchitis. The mucous membrane of the large bronchial tubes is irritated, and a cough with pain and distress results. The muscles are intensely irritated and congested.
This remedy is indicated in those of a rheumatic diathesis, who are of a bilious tendency, irritable, and inclined to anger. They are usually dark complexioned, with firm fibre. They are thirsty and desire large quantities of water at long intervals. The pains are tearing, stitching in character, are worse at night, and form motion, and are relieved while at rest. Should delirium appear, it is a constant rehearsal of business affairs, with a desire to get out of bed ad go home.
The HEADACHE that it relieves may be gastric, rheumatic or congestive in character, or may appear from ironing, or as a result of constipation. The pain is in the forehead. It is worse from stooping, or coughing, commencing during the early morning and continuing through the day. It may be accompanied by a rush of blood to the head.
It is indicated in FEVERS when the thirst, aggravation from movement, and stitching pains, which characterize the remedy, are present; also in rheumatic fever when the joints are red and swollen, with stitching pains upon the slightest motion. They may be most pronounced in the serous, synovial membranes, or muscular fibres. The perspiration is sour, the patient is weak and exhausted, while sitting up causes a feeling of faintness and nausea.
In TYPHOID, gastric, bilious and typhus fever, it is frequently of service when the mucous membranes are dry, the lips and tongue are parched and cracked, stools are dry, as if burnt, or diarrhoea may be present, the urine being dark and scanty, with great thirst for large quantities of water at long intervals. The patient is drowsy or sleeps during the day, but is delirious at night, and desires to remain perfectly quiet. In intermittent fevers the chills commence at the lips, the tips of the fingers and toes, there is thirst during all stages. The perspiration in all fevers is sour or oily.
It is remedy for congestion of the SEROUS MEMBRANES. This may be observed in congestion of the brain, the result of exposure to severe cold, from constipation, or suppression of a natural discharge. There is a headache that is severe, bursting, splitting in character, and is worse in the forehead.
In pleurisy it is of service in the plastic form; but is of no use when serous effusion has taken place. There are acute stitching pains that are greatly aggravate by breathing f the slightest motion. The respirations are short and rapid. It is of service in the dry pleurisies that accompany phthisis and pneumonia.
In an acute catarrhal state of the respiratory tract it is of service following Aconite, when there is heat and soreness with pain behind the sternum, and a racking cough with but little expectoration. The COUGH may be accompanied by retching; the cough appears to be dependent upon a constant tickling at the lower extremity of the trachea under the sternum.
It is worse during the day than at night, affecting the whole body and causing pain in the abdomen, head and chest. It is of service in chronic coughs where the expectoration is slight, the cough is aggravated from the least exertion of the lung. It is worse during the morning, and again during the evening.
In croupous PNEUMONIA, it is frequently of the greatest importance during the second stage, when fibrinous exudation and consolidation have taken place. It is indicated especially for the pleuritic inflammation, by the sharp, stitching pains. The patient is quiet, there is anxiety from the dyspnoea, there are severe cutting pains.
The cough is painful and is attended with a scanty, bloody sputum. The tongue is coated a thick white; the mouth and lips are dry; there is great thirst; the stomach is sluggish, and the liver inactive. The bowels are constipated; the urine is scanty and red, and the pulse of a high tension.
In disease of the digestive organs it is of importance; in GASTRALGIA, when there is a sensation of weight in the stomach, as from a stone. This may appear when the stomach is empty, or when it is full. It is frequently the result of having partaken of indigestible foods, beer, brandy, or strong coffee. There may be much flatulence, and vomiting of sour, acrid mucus. The epigastrium is extremely sensitive to pressure, and constipation is present.
In congestion of the LIVER it finds a place when there is a slight yellowness of the skin, distress about the right shoulder, and more or less giddiness.
It relieves CONSTIPATION when the bowels are inactive, or there is no inclination to move, the stools being large, hard, dark and dry, as if burnt. It is of service in DIARRHOEA that appears during a spell of hot weather, from undigested foods, cold drinks, fruits, sauerkraut, or from being overheated. The passage is bilious and acrid, produces soreness of the anus, and is worse during the morning, and from moving about.
In acute congestion of the mammary glands it is indicated if the gland becomes swollen, tender, hot and knotty. The condition is observed also from a sudden weaning.
It should be carefully studied in iritis and choroiditis of the serious form, and in ciliary neuralgia when attended with shooting pains, worse from motion, touch, and from attempting to sit up, which renders him faint; also from warm foods, warmth, and suppressed discharges.
He is better from lying on the painful side, from rest, cold foods, and drinks.
A/F [ Aliments From / Causation ]
– Anger, chagrin, mortification.
– Complaints after taking cold when hot in summer, or when the days are hot and nights are cold.
– Cold food and drink.
– From suppression of discharges and skin eruptions.
– Gluttony wounds (often indicated in injury of the joints when Arnica fails).
< Motion (Raising up, stooping, coughing)
< Hot weather
< Becoming hot
< Dry cold or heat
< 9 p.m.
> Lying on painful part
> Cool, open air
> Drawing knees up
> Cloudy, damp days
> Heat to inflamed part
MIND symptom of Bryonia Alba (Bry):
– Very irritable and ugly in behavior.
– Delirium-wants to go home, thinking he is not there < night, constant motion of left leg and left hand.
– Talks of business.
– Fear of poverty.
– Wants to be let alone. Aversed to being disturbed.
– Desire for things, which are rejected, when offered.
– Apprehension, dread of future.
– Despair of being cured, with fear of death.
– Children dislike to be carried or raised.
– Easily angered and irritated.
GUIDING INDICATIONS of Bryonia Alba (Bry):
– Oversensitiveness of senses to external impressions.
– All complaints are worse from motion, along with general amelioration by absolute rest and pressure.
– It is a very persistent remedy, all complaints develop slowly, and have an insidious onset.
– Dryness of all the mucus membranes, hence discharges are scanty and adherent.
– Great thirst for large quantities of cold water, at long intervals. Great appetite and eats voraciously.
– Stitching pains which are relieved by absolute rest and pressure, and by lying on painful side.
– Most complaints < in summer and by heat.
– Right sided affections.
– It disorders the circulation, causing congestion.
– Head-Bursting, heavy, crushing, left sided headache.
– Headache over the left eye or forehead extending to occipital region < moving eyes, coughing, straining at stool.
– Headache- A/F Ironing, when constipated.
– Dizzy or faint on rising up.
– Mouth-Tongue – Thick and white coated.
– G.I.T.-There is intolerance of vegetable food.
– Craving for coffee, wine and acid drinks.
– Aversion to milk, rich food, fatty and greasy food.
– Blood spitting or haemoptysis.
– No desire for stools for a number of days.
– Stools-large, dry, hard, as if burnt (constipated).
– Diarrhoea- gushing, painless, undigested < morning, on rising, eating cabbage.
– Respiratory system-Dropsical effusions into the serous and synovial membrane, resulting in pleurisy.
– Pleurisy expectoration rusty, blood streaked.
– Cough-dry, hard, very painful, at night, as if from stomach, must sit up – < eating and drinking
– Sharp, stitching pain in chest < deep breathing and coughing.
– Colds travel downwards to chest.
– Female genitalia-Vicarious menstruation, nose bleed when menses should appear.
– Breasts are heavy, stony hardness, painful hot, must support them with hand to prevent least motion, with uniform redness of skin.
– Extremities-Rheumatic arthritis causing inflammation and exudation.
– Sleep-Sleeps on left side.
– Skin-Slow development or sudden receding of rash in eruptive fevers, undeveloped measles.
– Stitching pain, severe, swelling, pale, hot, < touch or least motion.
– Fevers-all kinds of fever, bilious, typhoid and remittent fevers.
– In intermittent fever, great thirst during chill, and still greater in heat.
– Wants to lie down with bodyache, headache, delirium with constant motion of arm and left leg.
1. Pains-stitching, tearing, < slightest motion, night, > absolute rest, pressure, lying on painful side.
2. Excessive dryness of all the mucus membranes of entire body.
3. Great thirst for large quantities of cold water at long intervals.
4. Mammae-heavy, very painful, stony hard, hot < least motion > support.
5. Dry spasmodic cough with stitching pain in chest > pressure.
6. Headache- severe, bursting, heavy, fronto-occipital headaches < ironing, when constipated.
7. Painful part pale, swollen, < least motion > rest, pressure, > hot fomentation.
CONFIRMATORY SYMPTOMS of Bryonia Alba (Bry):
1. Right sided complaints.
2. Dryness of all mucous membranes.
3. Stitching pains < slightest motion > rest, pressure, lying on painful side.
4. Great thirst for large quantities of cold water.
5. Constipation, no desire for a number of days, or dry, large, hard, as if burnt stools.
NUCLEUS OF REMEDY
– Dry, spare, nervous slender persons, with dark complexion and hair, of irritable disposition and rheumatic tendency.
– < Slightest movement > Rest, pressure, lying on affected side.
– Stitching pains.
CLINICAL condition of Bryonia Alba (Bry):
– Appendicitis, Arthritis, Asthma, Bronchitis, Bursitis, Constipation, Coma, Diarrhoea, Epistaxis, Headache, Hepatitis, Influenza, Lumbago, Mastitis, Meningitis, Migraines, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sciatica, Tendonitis, Toothache, Vertigo.
Bryonia takes care of the effects following the typhoid, paratyphoid states- Dr. Grimmer.
REMEDY RELATIONSHIPS with Bryonia Alba (Bry):
Compare : Acon, Am-m, Ant-c, Arn, Ars, Bell, Calc, Carb-v, Caust, Cham, Cimx, Cinch, Dulc, Ham, Ign, Ip, Kali-c, Kreos, Lach, Lyc, Merc, Mill, Nat-m, Nat-s, Nit-ac, Nux-m, Nux-v, Op, Petr, Podo, Puls, Ran-b, Rhus-t, Rumx, Sep, Sil, Spig, Squil, Sulph.
Similar : Acon, Aesc, Ant-c, Arn, Ars, Bell, Calc, Carb-v, Caust, Cham, Ign, Ip, Kali-c, Kreos, Lach, Lyc, Merc, Nat-m, Nat-s, Nit-ac, Nux-v, Op, Petr, Phos, Podo, Puls, Ran-b, Rhus-t, Rumx, Sep, Sil, Spig, Squil, Sulph.
Duration Of Action : 7-21 Days.