Homeopathic Remedy Calcarea Carbonica (Calc)
[Materia Medica Keynotes Health benefits, uses, warnings, safety precaution, side effects, interaction, complementary and dosage]
Calcarea Carbonica Hahnemanii (Calc) also known as Calcium Carbonate, Carbonate of lime, Calcarea Ostrearum, Middle Layer of Oyster Shell;
SOURCE: This remedy is a trituration of the middle layer of the oyster shell,
Chemical Formula: CaCO3;
Side: Right, Left, U.Rt.Low Lt., Lt. to Rt.
Miasm : Psoric, Sycotic, Tubercular;
Thermal State : Chilly;
Thirst: Thirsty, Unquenchable, Thirstless;
Appetite: Increased, Reduced;
Sensitivity: Low, High;
Moon Phases: First Quarter, Full Moon, Last Quarter, New Moon;
Time Phases: Morning, Noon, Afternoon, Forenoon, Evening, Night;
Gender: Male, Female, Child;
Element: Carbon(C, 6), Oxygen(O, 8), Calcium(Ca, 20)
This agent modifies the nutrition of the vegetative system, and as a result there are changes in the composition of the blood that terminate in certain constitutional diseases.
This remedy is indicated in LEUCOPHLEGMATIC, SCROFULOUS individuals, who are light complexioned, have dry, tow – like hair, fair skin, and blue eyes. They are pale, weak, easily tired from any form of exertion, and are disposed to become corpulent, with muscles that are soft and flabby.
It is of service in cases of RACHITIS, the teeth appear late, the child does not learn to walk as early as is normal and the fontanelles are late in closing. When the child is sleeping the head perspires so that the pillow is wet far around it.
It should be remembered in those scrofulous individuals with enlargement of the MESENTERIC GLANDS, who show a tendency early in life to obesity. Oxidation is imperfect and there is a deposit of adipose especially about the abdomen. The tissue is poorly nourished, the haemoglobin is low and leucocythaemia is present.
It should be studied in tuberculosis. This may present itself as a involvement of the lymphatic glands or of any other tissue. The subject has grown rapidly; the cold and damp air seems to go through him. He is constantly taking cold. The circulation is disturbed ad there are acid eructations after meals. The latter is more apparent if fats have been eaten. There is a loose cough and the bronchii are filled with mucus. The patient becomes emaciated, is sensitive to cold and has sore pains in the chest.
It is indicated in the menstrual derangements of girls who are fat, and plethoric, who grow too rapidly and in whom menstruation appears early, is profuse, and lasts too long; while later they suffer from chlorosis, and amenorrhoea. Later in life it is useful when the menses are too early and too profuse, it is difficult to stop the menstruation, and the least excitement causes its return. The patient is weakly and complains of coldness and dampness of the extremities. These subjects often suffer from profuse milk – like leucorrhoea.
In acute ad chronic HYDROCEPHALUS, and in all troubles arising as the result of a DEFECTIVE ASSIMILATION, it is indicated when the leading characteristics are present.
It is useful in the sour DIARRHEAS and vomiting of children when the whole child smells sour, and is continually craving eggs. The region of the stomach is swollen and looks like a saucer turned bottom side up.
It has to be used beneficially in NEW GROWTHS, and is believed by some observers to have an influence over the pain that attends the passage of BILIARY CALCULI, when given in the 30th potency.
The Calcarea patient feels worse from cold, damp air, from getting wet and working in cold water, or handling cold substances, from loss of fluid and exertion of any form, and is better in warm, dry weather.
A/F [Causation of Calcarea Carbonica (Calc) ] :
– Alcohol, cold, moist winds, self abuse, injury to lower spine, overlifting, strains, mental strain, loss of fluids, suppressed sweat, suppressed menses, suppressed eruptions, fright, dentition, cold bathing.
Disease arising from defective assimilation and ossification.
MODALITIES of of Calcarea Carbonica (Calc) :
< Cold, wet weather
< Warm air
< Change of weather
< Eye strain
< Pressure of clothes
< Full moon
< Looking up
< Turning head
< Physical exertion
> Dry climate and weather
> Wiping or soothing with hands
> Lying on painful side, on back
> Sneezing (headache)
> After breakfast
MIND Symptom of Calcarea Carbonica (Calc):
– Hard working, overworking, capable, conscientious, over-responsible, take on too much. < Getting overworked. Life is completing your task-list. Cannot relax.
– Works to exhaustion, then must give up his job all together.
– Restlessness (nervous and in typhoid fever).
– Practical, down to earth.
– Timid and restless as if an evil was impending over her, weakness of mind, lack of confidence and determination.
– FEARS: HIGH PLACES, MICE, insects, rats, spiders, dogs, dark, INFECTION, CANCER, poverty, claustrophobia, earthquakes, storms, accidents, LOSING CONTROL, insanity, OTHERS WILL OBSERVE THEIR INNER STATE, a fear of the unknown. Many small fears.
– Fears she has a fatal disease, especially heart disease, fear of being unfortunate.
– Evil forebodings, talks of mice, rats, murders.
– Great apprehension which < towards evening, fears that she will loose her reason and people will notice her mental confusion, very forgetful.
– Anxiety about health, future. Worry about small things.
– Slowness in learning.
– Despair of recovery.
– Dejected and melancholic, great anguish with palpitation. Sees visions on closing eyes (so, useful in delirium tremens) cries out, twitches, grasps at flocks, anxious though unconscious.
– Indifference, apathy to conversation, aversion to others. Tendency to make mistakes in speaking and to take one word for another.
– Peevish, always obstinate and self willed, aversion and repugnance to work with great irritability.
– Solitude is a burden to her, with coldness of face, of hands and feet. Great desire to be magnetised (Phos, Sil).
– The least mental excitement causes profuse return of menstrual flow.
– Weeping disposition even about trifles, variation and lamentation on account of old offences, disposition to take everything in bad part.
– Horrible things, sad stories affect them profoundly.
– < Narrating her complaints.
– Inability to apply himself, sits and breaks sticks all day long.
– Preoccupation with metaphysical concerns, such as life after death, reincarnation, etc.
GUIDING INDICATIONS of Calcarea Carbonica (Calc):
Constitution- Children with cold feet, emaciated extremities, enlarged abdomen, stomach distended like an inverted saucer. Cold and sensitive to cold. Pale, waxy face, large head, open fontanelles and sutures. Sweats easily, specially on back side of the head and neck, wets the pillow. For swollen glands. SLOWNESS.
Fat, fair, flabby, patient who becomes easily fatigued and tired on walking, much sweating, slow in movement.
Calcarea has the following definite pictures in provings:
First is the teething picture, in addition to above mentioned, the gums are swollen throbbing, sore, dentition is delayed. Milk disagrees and vomits sour water, sour curds, soreness runs through the remedy, teething cough.
Second picture is of rickets, a fat, fair, pallid child dumped down onto a chair, sits there, no wriggling down to wander about, dull, sweats exceedingly even in cold or cold room.
Third picture is of anaemia. The leucophlegmatic patient, puffy with a frog hand so boneless, so moist and cold. Patient is weak, with palpitation, breathless, sensation of chest too full of blood, head too full of blood.
Fourth type is the tuberculosis type- Hard swollen glands, submaxillary, in both groins, ulcers with induration about them. Night sweats.
Physically two body types: Obese, flabby. Thin, lean.
Very active, healthy old people.
COLDNESS in general and of single parts, of head, of stomach, legs, which are habitually cold and damp as if they had a cold damp stocking on.
SLOWNESS in development, in teething, in walking, in learning and grasping. Movements are slow, cannot tolerate exertion, mental and physical.
SOURNESS of discharges, eructations, stools, sweat, whole body smells sour.
Defective bone development, imperfect ossification, curvature of bones, open fontanelles.
Glandular enlargement, inflammation, induration of all lymph glands.
Tendency to growth of polyps in nose, ear, vagina, bladder.
Tendency to excoriation and ulceration of skin.
Desire: SWEETS, sugar, ice cream, salt, SOFT BOILED EGGS, starch.
Craves eggs especially during sickness or convalescence, for indigestible things (Alum, Nit-ac, Cina, Cic, Psor)-chalk, pencils, eggs, farinaceous foods.
Longing for fresh air (Puls, Sulph).
Aversion to meat (Graph, Alum, Puls, Mur-ac), boiled things, milk disagrees, fat food, coffee, slimy food, hot food.
Head- Icy coldness in and on the head, much perspiration, wets the pillow.
Big head with large hard abdomen, open fontanelles.
Scratches head on waking.
Thick, foul, milk crusts with swollen cervical glands.
Vertigo- on high places, on turning head quickly.
Face- Lines, squares, across forehead.
Eyes- Dilatation of pupils, great photophobia.
Ear- Recurrent otitis, right side (Bell– acute).
Polyps in ears which bleed easily.
Mucopurulent otorrhoea with enlarged glands.
Nose- POLYPS, with swelling at the root of nose.
Allergy, especially right sided.
Sinusitis. Hay fever.
Takes cold at every change of weather, swelling of nose, upper lip in children.
Swelled nose and upper lip (Bar-c, Sulph).
Mouth-Persistent sour taste. Mouth fills with sour water.
Offensive smell from mouth.
Dryness of tongue with great thirst in afternoon.
Bleeding gums, toothache < current of air, cold or hot, while eating.
Throat- Goitre. Thyroid problems, especially hyperthyroid state.
Swelling of tonsils with stitches on swallowing.
Stomach- Nervous eating.
Frequent sour eructations, sour vomiting, loss of appetite when overworked.
Cramps in stomach, heart burn and loud belching.
Stomach swollen like an inverted saucer is very painful to pressure.
< Eating while; pressure cold water.
Abdomen- Gall- stone colic, liver region painful < stooping.
Distention with hardness < slightest pressure, tight clothing around waist.
Inguinal and mesenteric glands swollen and painful.
Rectum-Habitually constipated, feels better in every way when constipated.
Constipation, without urge.
Stools hard, large, has to be removed mechanically (Aloe, Sanic, Sel, Sep, Sil) first hard, then pasty, then liquid.
Children’s diarrhoea, sour with undigested food.
Male genitalia-Frequent emission, premature ejaculation, weakness, irritability after coition.
Female genitalia-For women whose first menstruation is at very early age.
Fibroids in uterus, myoma.
Menses too early, too profuse, too long.
Menses return with slightest mental excitement.
Menses with vertigo, toothache, cold and damp feet.
Before menses – headache, colic, chilliness, leucorrhoea, tender breast (Caul).
Leucorrhoea – milky (Sep), acrid in young girls(Caul).
For too abundant milk flow or deficient milk flow.
Respiration-Painless hoarseness < morning.
Breathlessness, suffocating spells, tightness and soreness in chest < going upstairs, must sit up.
Chest sensitive to touch, percussion and pressure.
Tickling cough < night. Free expectoration in morning and daytime. Expectoration thick, yellow, sour, bloody, scanty, sour.
For tuberculosis in tall, slender rapidly growing young people.
Affection of upper third of right lung.
Back- Curvature of spine. Pott’s disease.
Backache as if sprained from over lifting.
Pain in joints with arthritic nodosites.
Extremities -Cold, clammy hands and feet.
COLD DAMP FEET on going to sleep, get warm during night, uncovers them, perspiration.
Arthritis < cold damp.
Nails brittle, distorted and break or peel easily.
Sensation as if damp stockings were on.
Cold damp feet, soles of feet raw.
Sleep-Sleepless after 3 a.m.
Position on LEFT side.
Some disagreeable thought always arouses from light slumber.
Perspiration- PROFUSE. Sweats profusely while sleeping, wetting the pillow far around, mostly on back of head and neck or chest and upper part of the body.
Sweating on single parts.
Sweat sour smelling.
Rawness of soles from perspiration, blisters and offensive foot sweat.
Skin- Unhealthy skin, every injury tends to suppurate.
Small wounds do not heal early.
Easy sweating, cold clammy skin.
Skin cold, like a snake.
Babies- Pillow wet from perspiration of neck.
Sour perspiration, stool.
Vomiting of milk.
Slow closing of fontanelles.
Aphthae in mouth (Bor).
Serious. Ask about religious things.
Intelligent, but slow comprehension.
Avoid physical activities.
Glandular swellings. Frequent colds.
Constipation, feels better by it.
Epilepsy- Aura spreading up from the solar plexus where seizure comes on immediately or it may be like a mouse running on the arm or running down from epigastrium into uterus or limbs.
KEYNOTES of Calcarea Carbonica (Calc) :
1. Head sweats profusely while sleeping, wetting pillow far around.
2. During the sickness or convalescence, great longing for eggs or indigestible things.
3. Menses with cold, damp feet, as if they had a cold, damp stocking on.
4. The least mental excitement causes profuse return of menstrual flow.
5. Painless hoarseness < morning.
6. Feels better in every way when constipated.
7. Desire to be magnetised.
NUCLEUS OF REMEDY Calcarea Carbonica (Calc):
-Fat, fair, flabby blondes who sweat profusely on head, chest, during sleep.
-Sour smelling discharges.
-Defective nutrition and assimilation causing anaemia, glandular swellings, weakness and curvature of bones, lax and flabby muscles.
-Easy sweating, profuse discharges – usually sour.
-Late in teething and walking.
CONFIRMATORY SYMPTOMS of Calcarea Carbonica (Calc):
1. Fat, fair, flabby persons.
2. Extremely sensitive to cold.
3. Craving for eggs and indigestible things.
4. Profuse sweating especially about the head.
5. Sourness of discharges.
6. Feels better in every way when constipated.
7. Menses return from the slightest mental excitement.
-Should never be used before Sulphur, acts best after Sulphur.
– Adenopathy, Arthritis, Chronic fatigue syndrome, Colds, Connective tissue disease, Constipation, Mononucleosis, Multiple sclerosis, Muscular dystrophy, Nasal polyps, Otitis media, Phobic disorder, Premenstrual syndrome, Scleroderma, Scoliosis, Seizure disorder, Systemic lupus, Tonsillitis, Uterine fibroid.
REMEDY RELATIONSHIPS with Calcarea Carbonica (Calc):
Complementary : Bell.
Inimical : Bry.
Compare : Acon, Adren, Alum, Ambr, Aml-n, Ant-c, Anthr, Apis, Arg-n, Ars, Aur, Bapt, Bar-c, Bell, Berb, Brom, Bruc, Bry, Cann-s, Carb-v, Caul, Cham, Chin-s, Cinch, Clem, Croc, Cupr, Cur, Dios, Dros, Dulc, Gels, Gins, Glon, Goss, Graph, Ham, Hep, Ign, Kali-bi, Kali-c, Lach, Laur, Led, Lept, Lil-t, Lyc, Maland, Med, Merc, Mosch, Nat-c, Nat-m, Nat-s, Nit- ac, Nit-ac, Nux-m, Nux-v, Olnd, Phos, Pic-ac, Podo, Psor, Puls, Ran-b, Rhus-t, Rumx, Sang, Sanic, Scir, Sec, Selen, Sep, Sil, Spig, Stry, Sul-ac, Sulph, Thuj, Ust, Valer, Verat, Vib.
Duration Of Action : 60 Days.