Homeopathic Remedy Baryta Carbonica (Bar-c)
PHYSIOLOGICAL ACTION: Lymphatic glandular system- Hypertrophy, Atrophy.
Dwarfishness, mental deficiency and emotional immaturity. Chronic occlusive tonsillitis.
This agent produces degenerative changes, especially in the extremes of life, with irritation and hypertrophy of the glandular system in infancy, with early degenerative changes and rapid deterioration in those who are older and show early senility.
This remedy is especially indicated in those at the extremes of life.
Children that the PREMATURELY OLD, are thin and wrinkled, look like a dwarf and show a condition of malnutrition, appear stunted both mentally and physically. INFANTILISM when the memory is weak the child seems inattentive and stupid, does not learn to play or walk and may approach a state bordering on idiocy.
It should be remembered in ADENOPATHY, when the glands are swollen and enlarged, there is a tendency to suppuration the cervical and inguinal glands. The abdomen is hard, swollen and the child is known as “pot – bellied,” does not thrive, while it appears hungry but very little satisfies and there is a constant state of abdominal colic.
It should be remembered in those children with ENLARGED TONSILS who are continually taking cold. They are sensitive to cool air and have a disposition to catch cold from washing the head or the least exposure.
The throat is soon involved and the normally large TONSILS become inflamed and swollen and then either FOLLICULAR TONSILLITIS or a PERITONSILLAR ABSCESS or QUINSY follows. This remedy is not only of service in these conditions, but has the power of correcting and preventing them if given in the interim. It not only prevents tonsillitis but also the otitis media that so frequently result from it.
It should be remembered when there is glandular enlargement following scarlet fever.
It has been employed in sporadic CRETINISM and simple GOITER. In these cases it should be continued over a prolonged period.
It is an important remedy in diseases of the aged, these patients are also prematurely old, are dejected, unsociable, have loss of memory and lapse into a state of SENILE DEMENTIA. Also in HEMIPLEGIA following cerebral hemorrhage, the pulse is slow, the pupils dilated and the aphasia is indicative of this remedy.
It has bee employed in HYPERTROPHY of the prostate, when the testicles are indurated and there is premature impotency.
It is of service in ANEURISM, and in threatened APOPLEXY and in chronic HEADACHES of the aged who show mental deterioration and childishness.
It has been employed in BROMIDROSIS in the typical patient when the toe and soles of the feet are sore and give off the peculiar odor.
A/F: (Aliment From / Causation)
– Suppressed foot sweat.
– For acute illness after measles, typhoid, mumps, scarlet fever.
MODALITIES of Baryta Carbonica (Bar-c):
< Thinking of complaint,
< Cold air,
< Cold washing,
< Damp weather,
< Warm food,
< In sun,
< Near warm stove,
< Raising arms,
< Mental emotion,
< In company,
< Lying on painful or left side,
< After eating,
> When alone,
> Cold food,
> Walking in open air,
> Warm wraps
MIND Symptom of Baryta Carbonica (Bar-c):
– Extreme SHYNESS. Bashful, cowardly. Children hide behind mother. Children don’t play, just stare, have no friends. Fear strangers, stay in family.
– Aversion to strangers, shuns and avoids strangers and unfamiliar faces.
– Beclouded mind, mistrustful. Jealousy in children causing enuresis, colds, hiding, etc.
– Thinks one is being laughed at and made fun of, thinks all visitors laugh at him.
– Slow, inept, BACKWARD. Delayed development. Slow learning to talk, walk.
– Suspicious that people are talking about her.
– Censorious, critical.
– CHILDISH BEHAVIOUR, needs reassurance. Easily influenced. Childishness in old people. Senility. Silly.
– Abnormal concern over his appearance, tries to look perfect. Neat, perfect in dress (conscientious).
– LACK OF SELF CONFIDENCE especially concerning own body, fears to undertake anything. Irresolution in acts, in projects, about trifles. Extreme difficulty in making any decision. Dependent in relationships, easily suppressed (Staph).
– Sense of INFERIORITY.
– Symptoms develop after birth of younger sibling.
– Deficient memory, child cannot be taught, because he cannot remember. Difficult comprehension. Weak memory.
– Loquacity during menses.
– Homesickness, feeling of security in house.
– Feeling of inefficiency, regression, NERVOUS BITING OF FINGER NAILS.
– Indicated in infancy and old age. Early senility (Calc).
– Scrofulous children, especially if they are backward, mentally and physically, are drawfish don’t grow and develop, have scrofulous ophthalmia, swollen abdomen, take cold easily and then always have swollen tonsils which may nearly occlude the throat.
– Acute breakdown of mental functioning.
GUIDING INDICATIONS of Baryta Carbonica (Bar-c):
-Great sensitiveness to cold.
-Symptoms occur in single parts such as perspiration, paralysis, numbness, burning.
-Offensive sweat on one (mostly left) side.
-Foetid foot sweat, toes and soles sore < while at rest in morning > exercise out of doors.
-GLANDS around ears, nape of neck and occiput painful, swollen and indurated.
-Toothache before and during menses.
-R.S.-Dry sneezing coryza and swelling of upper lip and nose.
-Takes cold easily from washing the head; stitching, smarting pain in throat < empty swallowing.
-Suppurating tonsils (Hep, Psor) especially right, from every cold.
-Tonsils affected by every cold or < menses.
-Throat affections after suppressed foot sweat (Graph, Psor, Sanic, Sil).
-Cough after getting feet wet, at least exposure to cold air.
-Dry suffocative cough, especially in old people, full of mucus but lacking strength to expectorate.
< Every change of weather (Seneg)
< Presence of strangers
< Lying on left side
< Eating warm food
< Thinking of complaints
< Evening till midnight
-Asthma < in wet warm air.
-Indurated cervical glands like knotted cords.
-G.I.T.-Difficult swallowing, inability to swallow anything but liquids (Bapt, Sil)
-Raving appetite, but feeling of satiety after a few mouthfuls (Lyc).
-Aversion to sweet things, fruits, especially plums.
-Desire for sweets and eggs.
-Hard, tense and distended abdomen with rest of body emaciated.
-Haemorrhoids protrude on urinating (Mur-ac) and with stools.
-Enuresis or regression of toilet training in times of insecurity.
-Female-Menses scanty, last one day only.
-Leucorrhoea immediately before menses.
-Extremities-Tension and shortening of muscles.
-Cold, clammy feet with corns and callosities.
-In intermittent fever, no thirst in any stage.
-Paralysis following apoplexy in old people.
1. Children both physically and mentally weak.
2. Sensation as if forced through a narrow place.
3. Feels as if legs are cut off and he is walking on his knees.
4. Sensation of cobweb on face (Alum, Calad, Graph, Sil).
5. Offensive foot-sweat, toes and soles get sore.
1. Chilly patient. Tendency to catch cold easily. Always have swollen tonsils.
2. Physically and mentally dwarfish.
3. Swelling and induration or incipient suppuration of glands.
NUCLEUS OF REMEDY:
-Specially indicated in infancy and old age. People who are backward mentally or physically and have a scrofulous diathesis and take cold easily.
-Tendency to glandular enlargement and general degenerative changes, especially in the blood vessels and brain.
-Adenopathy, alopecia, C.V.A., congenital malformations, developmental delay, enuresis, Hodgkin’s disease, mental retardation, phobic disorders, prostatitis, sexual dysfunction, tonsillitis.
-Established hypertension to Baryta carb and Plumbum – Dr. L. P P Vannier
-Baryta-carb and Baryta-mur seem to relieve the symptoms of Pulmonary arterioscleosis -Dr. Carl. A. Williams.
It is wiser, to give a dose of Baryta-mur to a typical Baryta-carb who has chill with acute tonsillitis in an acute state, and give an intercurrent dose of Psorinum after Baryta-mur before you go back to Baryta-carb – Dr. D.M.Borland.
-It is frequently claimed that inflammation of the parotid gland, when it affects the ears, causes permanent deafness. These cases of inflamed parotid gland where the ear becomes involved can hardly get well without the administration of Baryta-carb – Dr. H.A. Roberts.
-In very old people, we find a sensitive skin which itches intolerably, but with no eruption; Baryta-carb is one of the principal remedies to be thought of in these conditions – Dr. H.A Roberts
REMEDY RELATIONSHIPS of Baryta Carbonica (Bar-c):
Inimical : Calc.
Duration Of Action : 40 Days.