Citrullus Colocynthis (Coloc)
Citrullus Colocynthis (Coloc) also known as Bitter Cucumber. Badi indrayan, Ghorumba, Indarayan in Hindi it belongs to plant Kingdom,
Side: Right, U.Rt.Low Lt.;
Miasm: Psoric, Sycotic;
Thermal State: Chilly;
Thirst: Thirsty, Thirstless, Small Quantity;
Appetite: Increased, Easy satiety, Reduced;
Sensitivity: Low, High;
Moon Phases: First Quarter, Full Moon, Last Quarter, New Moon;
Time Phases: Morning, Noon, Afternoon, Forenoon, Evening, Night.
This agent acts as a violent hydragogue cathartic, with emesis, and bloody stools that are attended with severe cocky burning pains and in some cases spasms and death. There are intermittent neuralgic pains of the trigeminus, the solar plexus, the lumbar and sciatic nerves.
When this remedy is indicated there are violent pains of a neuralgic paroxysmal character which come and go quickly and are relieved by heat, pressure and bending forward.
It should be studied in enteralgia, whatever the cause, when the pains are violent and griping in character and are relieved by pressure, heat, bending double, the passage of stool and the escape of flatus. The patient is often of the gouty or rheumatic type, there may be a history of the partaking of indigestible food, exposure to cold or some violent emotion, as a fit of anger. There may be a diarrhoea or cholera morbus present, which is attended with severe agonizing, twisting pains about the umbilicus.
The patient finds relief by bending double and pressing firmly upon the abdomen. The pains are more severe every few minutes, are worse from partaking of food or drink; there is temporary relief from a discharge of flatus and stool. The pain is of a nervous, rather than inflammatory origin.
It should be studied in dysentery, when the stools are bloody and mucous, are worse after eating and drinking and there is the characteristic colic present. It is to be remembered in menstrual and vesical colic, when much the same group of symptoms is present.
It has been of service in mucous colitis when there were griping cutting pains that cause the patient to writhe and bend double, press upon the abdomen, ask for hot applications and are made worse from eating and drinking.
It has relieved hepatalgia that was dependent upon emotion; also exposure; the pains were paroxysmal in character and were worse from motion and relieved by rest and external warmth.
It is valuable in neuralgia, when there are violent neuralgic headaches, with sudden cutting, boring pains, facial neuralgias that involve the eye and malar bone. The pains are paroxysmal in character. There is great soreness of the parts affected. There is relief from heat.
It has been of service in the relief of the pains that attend iritis and glaucoma, when the pain is spasmodic and is relieved by heat and pressure.
It is indicated in sciatica when the pain is excruciating, paroxysmal, tearing, shooting, boring in character. There is relief from heat, pressure and flexing the thigh on the abdomen. Should the paroxysm come when the patient is walking, he will grip the thigh just above the popliteal space.
It is an important remedy in diseases of women, suppression of the menses due to fits of anger or chagrin; also dysmenorrhoea, when there are violent paroxysms of pain which are benefited by firm pressure and from heat.
It has cured cysts of the broad ligament and ovaries when the symptoms requiring the remedy are present.
A/F [ Aliment From / Causation] :
< From anger and indignation
< Lying on painless side
< In bed
< Taking cold
< After eating, cheese
< Before and after urination potato, starchy food (flatus)
< After eating, drinking least amount
< 4-9 p.m.
> HARD PRESSURE on edge
> Gentle motion
> After stool
> Doubling up
– Ailments after anger and silent grief.
– Greatly affected by the misfortunes of others.
– Anger easily, vexed during pain.
– Want of religious feeling.
– Screams with pain; wants to walk about, disinclined to talk, to answer.
– Does not want to meet the friend.
– Morose; becomes offended at everything.
– Irritable; throws things out of his hand.
-Mortification, caused by offense.
-Confusion trom beer; after wine.
-Restlessness before menses.
-It is left sided drug, except sciatica which is on right side. All symptoms are 4-9 p.m.
-Suited to easily angered, irritable persons, with tendency to corpulency, to women of sedentary habits, with copious menstruation.
-It is useful in acute affections of digestive tract and intestines but it has a long lasting action on nerves,
especially trigeminal, facial, sciatica, spinal nerves.
-Different types of pain > PRESSURE > WARMTH.
-Pains come suddenly, go suddenly.
-Crampy, tearing part.
-Neuralgic pains, cutting, pinching, clamping, gnawing or boring.
-Pains with numbness.
-Pains like electric shocks.
-Throbbing throughout the whole body.
-Constrictions, cramps and twitchings.
-Vertigo- When quickly turning head, especially to the left, as if he would fall.
-Vertigo from stimulants.
-Head-Lateral cutting headache with nausea, vomiting.
-Pains with soreness of scalp.
-Pain < stooping, lying on back and moving eyelids.
-Eyes -On stooping feeling as if eyes would fall out.
-Violent pain before development of glaucoma.
-Ears-Sounds re-echo in ears.
-Face-Left side affection of face.
-Tearing shooting and swelling of face > from pressure.
-Neuralgia with chilliness, teeth seems too long.
-Prosopalgia with eye symptoms and chilliness.
-Face distorted, cheeks cold.
-G.I.T.-Bitter taste in mouth.
– Agonizing, violent, cutting, cramping, griping, tearing, clutching, or radiating pain, comes in waves. Pain compels patient to cry out and wriggle for relief, or double up and particularly press something hard against abdomen.
– < Least food or drink, except coffee and tobacco smoking.
-Intestines feel squeezed between stones.
-Sensation as of being encircled with an iron band.
-Colic with cramps in calves. Pains are accompanied by nausea vomiting and diuresis.
-Each paroxysm is attended with general agitation and a chill over the cheeks, ascending from the hypogastrium.
-Pressure ameliorates pain in abdomen in acute stage, but when pain remains for a long time, parts become tender, then the pressure aggravates the pain.
-Stools-frothy, watery, shreddy, yellow or gelatinous with flatulence and pain.
-Slippery bubbles escape from anus.
-Dysentery stool, renewed each time by the least food or drink.
-Jelly-like stool, musty odour.
-During colic, infant lies on abdomen and screams when he is moved slightly.
-Urinary system-Pain on urinating over the whole abdomen.
-Cysto-spasm after operation on the orifices.
-Burning along urethra during stool.
-Urine-viscid, foetid, small quantities with frequent urging.
-Red, hard crystals adhering to the vessel.
-Urine milky white coagulates on standing, diabetes.
-Boring pain in ovary, must draw up double, with great restlessness.
-Ovarian cyst with pain > flexing thigh on pelvis.
– Suppression of menses or lochia from indignation.
– Dysmenorrhoea < eating.
– Menses copious in women with sedentary habits.
– Extremities-Contradiction of muscles. All the limbs are drawn together.
– Sciatica, cramps like, shooting electric-like pain in hip, lies on affected side. Pain from hip to knee.
– Pain < gentle motion > pressure and heat.
– Pain down right thigh, muscles and tendons feel too short, with numbness.
– Stiffness of joints, with shortening of tendons.
– Spontaneous subluxation of the hip joint.
– Perspiration – Urinous odour of perspiration.
1. Cystospasm after operation of orifices.
2. Urinous odour of perspiration.
NUCLEUS OF REMEDY:
– Useful in irritable persons, easily angered and ill effects therefore.
– Not only is it useful in acute affection of digestive tract and intestines, but it has a long lasting action on nerves especially trifacial, sciatica and spinal.
– In abdomen, produces sudden, atrocious, cramping, griping, tearing pain which makes the patient twist and turn, cry out and bend double.
– Pains are accompanied by nausea and vomiting from intensity of pain.
– Neuralgic pains are cutting, pinching, cramping, gnawing or boring, followed by numbness > pressure.
1. Left sided affection.
2. Pain in abdomen < least food < anger, vexation > hard pressure > doubling up.
3. Neuralgia pains- cutting, shooting, electric shock-like, followed by numbness.
4. Trigeminal neuralgia alternates with chilliness and colicky pain in abdomen.
5. Sciatica pain with contraction of muscles, shortning of muscles and tendens < gentle motion > pressure.
-In menstrual colic, Causticum will cure after the failure of Colocynth.
In the beginning cases of paraphimosis, you may give Colocynth which will sometime relieve the spasm- Dr.Farrington.
-Best antidote to lead poisoning- Boericke.
Complementary : Merc.
Compare : Ars, Bell, Bry, Caust, Cham, Chel, Cocc, Coff, Dios, Lyc, Merc, Nux-v, Puls, Stann.
Antidoted By : Camph, Caust, Cham, Coff, Op, Staph.
It Antidotes : Caust, Mag.
Duration Of Action : 1-7 Days.